Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas night ... a time to reflect.


Christmas night ... Have you ever noticed Christmas night has an ambiance all it's own? There is something about the way you feel on Christmas night, the way the house looks, the tree, the decorations, the shadows, it is hard to explain but it is so different to me it is thick in the air. Only a night ago when you turned on those lights there was a lift in your step because of the anticipation of things to come. On Christmas night the mood is so different, especially for the creators of the moments (adults). Now the kids are still in perpetual motion, playing with their new stuff with a different type of energy from 24 hrs ago. The adults are more closely compared to marionette puppets and nobody has hold of their strings anymore! Just fatigued piles of clothes and body parts! ;)

Christmas was great this year ... it always is and I think what I love the most about our Christmases is that my kids and grandkids are the most unspoiled and appreciative people I have ever known. We never seem to have the money we hoped to have each year. But if you were a fly on the wall in our living room on Christmas Eve and Christmas morning you would not be able to tell the difference in the enthusiasm of my kids over the kids down the street that get every electronic and expensive gadget on the market. The exuberance in their voices is as heartwarming as it gets. And the sincerity in their voices when they say "This was a good Christmas" will bring tears to your eyes. I know that for my family Christmas is as much about being with family and the knowledge that it is a celebration of the birth of Christ and not so much about the gifts. Do not get me wrong though, they do like the gifts too though. After all Matthew did remind me that Jesus got gifts too!

Well for all of you that think this arrangement is going to be all hunky dory I have to burst your bubble. Jennifer and I had our first big loud discussion. You know one of those discussions where hands flail, fingers point, voices rise, doors slam and then long periods of silence. This is then followed by, I'm sorry's, hugs, and I love you's. You know what I mean right? We will have to work on what gets us to these moments. I am very direct and Jennifer is very sensitive. There has to be a way to meet in the middle.

Over the last few days I have had some things where I thought, "I need to put that in the blog when I sit down to write." I felt certain it was so important I would never forget it but here I sit ... totally blank! So I have set my blog up to accept text posts. This way I can do more blogging on the go so if you see some here and there that are very brief please check back later for the more expanded version.

I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas ... we sure did!

No comments:

Post a Comment