Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Pizza with Pineapple? No Thanks!

This is my 2nd post today but I wanted this one to be separate.

We had pizza tonight ... remember Tuesday is pizza night! We got one that was half pineapple. Well the other half of that pizza was gone and so I showed Matthew how if I took off the pineapple it would just be cheese like he liked. He looked at it and pointed to the indentation where the pineapple had been (not really visible to the naked eye) and said, "You can see where the pineapple was so I will be able to taste it." And then in the most polite way he said "No thank you I will not have anymore pizza."

Discouraged, he sat down to finish his homework and about that time Jennifer came in and was made aware of the dilemma. So next thing, Jennifer, Allison and I are in the sunroom discussing it and Jenn and I have pretty much written the evening off as a catastrophe when Allison gets up and goes in the kitchen. She messes around in the pizza box for a minute, and then asks Matthew, "Do you want my pizza I did not eat?" Matthew enthusiastically says yes, knowing Allison would not be eating the pineapple pizza, and he eagerly finishes off "her" pizza. The evening is saved!

So what makes this story so great? The pizza Allison gave him was the same piece I tried to give him but Allison took the time to analyze the situation and come up with a way to make Matthew feel happy again. What a great thing for a 13 yr old to do? Her Mom and Grandma learned from her today! I LOVE YOU Allison!

2 comments:

  1. Did you eat the pinapple pizza Bev? Surely you ate your part.I'm really glad the kids like school.Again keep up the good work. Love Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bev, Catching up on my reading all at once. Just sharing ... when Phillip's son was little, he had a "three bite rule." Paul had to take at least three bites before deciding he wouldn't eat something. If he still decided not to eat it, his decision was respected; but more often than not it was "ok" after all. It made a huge difference.

    Hope all is well in your world.

    Best, Karen

    ReplyDelete