Sunday, November 22, 2009

Time Travel, Transitioning, Teachers

The day was cut short by my horrible headache this morning so we did not get started as early as we would have liked. This was not just a headache … it was a HEADACHE. I sat up and my head was throbbing so bad that it seemed like there was a metronome inside my head ... back and forth ... side to side. It was hitting the inside of my temples so hard that if someone were watching me I feel certain they would have been able to see my temples pulsating as the metronome moved from one to the other. I do not think this was a true migraine but I took an imitrex (migraine medicine) anyway.

I then lay back down with a hot wash rag on my face, waiting for the imitrex to do its magic, and we start talking about how old the hotel is and how neat it is that they kept so much of the original structure in place. The suite we were in was the barbershop back in the day and the original mirror was there with the ledge I am sure the barbers used to lay their tools of the trade between uses. Even the old cabinets built into the wall that they used to store their supplies in at the end of the day are still there. It was so easy to imagine the barber chair with the customers in them, all lathered up, while the barber sharpened the straight edge razor on a razor strap. It still blows me away that they used straight edge razors. We were so much more trusting of our fellow man back then. ; )

We talked about hearing people walking outside the window. Maybe we did or maybe we didn’t. But in that moment it was almost like I traveled back in time and I could hear the horses and the wagons outside and could see the hustle and the bustle of people up and down the street, men in boots and hats and women in those long dresses and hats.

Then I took the washrag off my eyes, saw the time projected on the ceiling from the alarm clock and my trip back in time was over … my headache started to subside.

We went to our little house in Roaring Springs where Jennifer is staying because the plumbing in her house is kaput. Thousands of dollars to fix her house so this is the workaround. A very small house for her and the 3 kids but she has made it so homey … I am so very proud of her. Louis said that under the circumstances you expected to walk in find a chaotic mess with not enough room but it was not at all. It felt so comfy and warm and cozy. It felt more like home than it does when it was our getaway waiting for us to show up for a visit. I did not want to leave. You go Jennifer!

Oh and the guy that had Jennifer’s broken car brought it back still broken but he said “I have a workaround, if you loosen the radiator cap you can drive it to Matador and back as long as you check the water before you go and before you come back!” You know a person is not spoiled when that is the best news in the world! Love you Jenn, can’t wait to start our new adventure!

We also visited Kathy and Clois and Dad Shorter. What a great visit! When will I learn? Every time I go out there and see them it is so awesome and I leave feeling like all I got was the appetizer and not the whole meal! We NEVER seem to allow enough time out there. That perfect quiet love and acceptance from Everett, that perfect not so quiet meanness from Clois, although he was very nice today. He did say it was killing him to do it though. That is ok it was still very nice and I know he loves me! ; ) And my girl talks with Kathy … they leave me so ready to tackle anything I have on my plate. She gives me so much wise counsel. I am so blessed to have my sister’s … they are all so different. The wisdom, support, and humor I get from each of them in different ways makes it possible for me to take on anything and enjoy everything. Love all of you!

When we were leaving Matthew hugged me forever, I know it is feeling like forever to him. But we are almost down to counting sleeps which means it is getting very close. That is an easy way to make kids understand, I learned that from one of my sisters! Just another way of counting down …

1 comment:

  1. Bev,thanks for coming on sunday.We too enjoyed your visit.You and yours are always welcome.Our visits are so special to me.I started out with 0 sisters and now I have three very special ones.That is a great blessing.Thanks for being a sister I never had.Love you,Kathy

    ReplyDelete